Labiaplasty Care: Before and After Surgery
- Meet with your plastic surgeon for a consultation.
- See your family doctor to make sure you are healthy enough to have surgery. This might mean having blood work done or an EKG depending on your age and your medical history.
- Book your surgery once you have been medically cleared.
- At least 6 weeks before: Quit smoking.
- 10 days before: Avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen or any other medication or herbal supplement that might increase the risk of bleeding or bruising.
- 1 day before: Take any prescribed antibiotics.
- The morning of: Shower and completely shave the pubic area.
- You will generally need 3-4 days at home to recover.
- Take Tylenol or the pain medication prescribed by your plastic surgeon to relieve your pain/discomfort. DO NOT take aspirin or ibuprofen because they can increase bruising and bleeding.
- Shower the day after surgery.
- Clean the incision site with hydrogen peroxide and put antibiotic cream/ointment on daily.
- Your stitches should dissolve within 2-2 ½ weeks.
- Swelling and tenderness should disappear within 6 weeks.
- It will take between 6 months to a year before you will see the absolute final results.
If we haven’t answered your questions regarding labioplasty care, please feel free to contact us at San Francisco Plastic Surgery & Laser Center.