Are you considering plastic surgery? Do you feel overwhelmed with questions? The best way to calm your nerves and answer all your questions is to find choose a plastic surgeon – but be sure to pick the right plastic surgeon for you.
Choosing a plastic surgeon can feel like an impossibly daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. The most important part of finding the right doctor, is finding one that makes you feel comfortable. You should be confident in their abilities and happy with his or her “bedside manner” or rapport. But how do you begin? What should you look for in a plastic surgeon? I found this How to Choose a Plastic Surgeon article at smartbeautyguide.com to help make your search for the right doctor a little easier.
Top 10 Qualities to look for in a Plastic Surgeon
- 1. Board Certification
- A doctor’s board-certification is the best indicator of his or her training in a particular medical or surgical specialty.
- 2. ASAPS Membership
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) membership is by invitation only.
- 3. Experience
- Patients should ask about the surgeon’s experience with the particular procedure being considered.
- 4. Facility Accreditation
- Make sure your procedure will be performed in an accredited surgical facility.
- 5. Hospital Privileges
- Be sure the surgeon has operating privileges in an accredited hospital for the same procedure being considered.
- 6. Reliable References
- Asking your primary care doctor or a friend for recommendations is a good place to start, but the surgeon’s board-certification should always be verified independently by contacting the American Board of Plastic Surgery (www.abplsurg.org).
- 7. Thoroughness
- The consultation is an important opportunity for questions to be asked and answered. It should include a candid discussion of risks as well as benefits of the surgery.
- 8. Rapport
- Even the most experienced surgeon is not the “right” surgeon for every patient.
- 9. Follow-up Care
- For most surgeries, plastic surgeons want to see the results and monitor your progress.
- 10. Reasonable Cost
- National averages for surgeons’ fees can be found here.
Hopefully these 10 bullet points have helped you understand what you should be searching for and will ultimately help you find the right plastic surgeon. For more details on these 10 tips, read the full article HERE.
It is important to keep in mind that only YOU know how to choose a plastic surgeon that is right for YOU. Cosmetic surgery is an elective surgery, so you have no reason to rush into anything. Take your time finding the doctor that makes you feel the most comfortable. Don’t be shy. Ask for referrals. Meet a few different surgeons in preliminary consultations. Ask lots of questions. Get to know the doctor and their experience. Most of all, don’t settle. Shop around until you find a doctor whom can offer exactly what you want.
These following links can help you with your research: